So I took it.
That was mid-September.
My plan was to start up again as soon as one of the following two things happened:
- I got excited about working out again, or
- My weight cracked the elusive 200 pound barrier.
Three months later, on December 17th, weighing in at a feathery 198#, the desire was rekindled. I returned triumphantly to Bally's for what was perhaps the most painful 3 miles of my life. It was as though three months of lassitude and unearned fast food were flushing from my arteries kicking and screaming. My entire chest felt like it was caving in on itself... my thoughts grew negative... what had I been thinking, signing up for another Ironman (Wisconsin, this time)... why had I let myself go for so long... had I lost all my physical progress from the past year?... I considered an urgent care visit... even took an aspirin when I got home, just in case... and then...
An hour later... I felt great. The mystical runner's high.
I returned to the gym the next day for four relaxed, enjoyable miles. They reminded me why I love running... reassured me that all my progress was not lost (just waiting to be recovered)... and convinced me I wasn't crazy for signing up for IM Wisconsin. This was a good thing.
Even better... this time I will keep a record of my journey.
Feel free to follow along.
WORKOUTS THUS FAR
- 12/17 3 mile run
- 12/18 4 mile run, Pilates, 5 mile spin
- 12/19 3 mile run, 5 mile spin
- 12/20 "Christmas Eve" w/family (took the day off)
- 12/21 Pilates
- 12/22 4 mile run, 10 mile spin
- 12/23 3 mile run
- 12/24 6.1 mile run outdoors with Zach, Pilates
- 12/25 Christmas (took the day off)
- 12/26 2 mile run, Pilates, 10 mile spin
- 12/27 900 yard (1/2 mile) swim
No comments:
Post a Comment