Monday, January 19, 2009

Techpaddles


http://www.techpaddle.com

My Techpaddles arrived yesterday (pictured above). Gave them a try today, and already believe they will help my form significantly. Like the closed fist drill, the Techpaddles force you to use the Early Vertical Forearm (EVF) technique. Without the wide surface area of the hand pushing water and propelling you forward, proper technique becomes critical.

It is a very interesting experience, swimming with the Techpaddles. In addition to forcing better technique, it is a similar experience to running with leg weights, or playing basketball with an oversized ball. When you take them off and try swimming without them, your form feels great and you feel like you're flying through the water.

As stated earlier, I've been focusing on improving my form. After Mandy was done with her workout, she observed me swim a couple 25's, and already she says my form is a lot better than last year... that I look more like a swimmer. Encouraging words. I feel a lot better moving through the water... a lot faster. At the moment, I can't maintain proper form at a good speed for very long, but I'll focus on distance and stamina later this year. For now, I am glad to finally feel like I know how I should be swimming. Now it's just a matter of doing it.

WORKOUTS
  • 1/16 day off (recovery day)
  • 1/17 Swim: 100 free, 50 sidekicking, 50 frontkicking, 50 pull buoy w/Techpaddles, 50 doggy paddle w/Techpaddles, 100 free w/Techpaddles (x 3 sets)
  • 1/18 12 mile spin, Pilates

No comments:

Post a Comment